The BEST self defense is to NOT LET SOMEONE GET YOU! If somebody comes at you to strike or grab you, you need to know how to stop that. Somebody coming at you most probably wants to hurt you. You don’t need to know martial arts to block someone coming at you. You just need to know some basic moves.
You do need to react quickly. You need to leave your socialization and good manners behind and – as soon as you detect that something may be wrong –ACT.
- If someone comes at you, your first basic, instinctive move should be to move away. Don't stand there, horrified! MOVE AWAY. STEP ASIDE. TURN AROUND AND RUN.
- MAKE A SCENE (we covered this already in previous posts)
- DON"T LET THEM GET YOU! I cannot emphasize this enough. DO everything in your power to not let them grab you and make you have to get away from their grip. We don't want to fight an attacker. WE WANT AN EDGE TO GET AWAY BEFORE THEY GET US!
- Deflect their action away and keep it flowing where it wants to go. Say an attacker is coming at you. You move to the side and turn to run away. He (or she) tries to grab your arm. Don't let them grab you. Hit their arm away. If they are trying to kick you, hit their leg away and/or move out of the way.
- Deflect the attack away, in the direction it naturally wants to go. This will leave the attacker open to you striking them (if necessary) in their vital spots.
- If it comes low, push it away low.
- If it comes at you high, push it away high.
- If it comes to the side, deflect it to the side.
- If it comes straight at you, step aside and let it keep going by you.
Everyone needs to practice this! JUST DO IT! SHARE WITH YOUR FRIENDS AND AQUAINTANCES!