Perfect posture is about alignment and balance. It lends an air of confidence and can make you not only look thinner, but taller! I've gained 1" since I discovered "perfect posture".
Here are some tips for achieving the correct upright posture:
- Stance: Stand with your feet shoulder width apart, the same stance you would use for working out or many other physical activities.
- Stand up straight: Pretend there is a wall behind you. Bring the back of your head, your shoulders, your butt and your heels in contact with the wall. As you develop good posture habits, this will become second nature.
- Lift from the belly button: Imagine a rope coming from the ground and through your body, reaching for the ceiling through the top of your head. Keep your head in line with your spine as you do this. Not only will this improve your posture, you will look taller and thinner.
- Ground: As you lift up from your belly button, "push" down into the earth, feeling all four corners of your feet. This inhibits the natural tendency to slouch. Notice how the rest of your body follows with alignment.
- Now step away from the "wall". Notice how you have to isometrically contract your abs and glutes. One of the side effects of practicing perfect posture is a strengthening of your core!
Bad posture can cause several complications over time, such as increased risks of slipped discs, back aches, back pain, neck pain, mis-alignments, even poor blood circulation.
Take a minute and look in the mirror. Which posture do you resemble?