Sport Yoga is a functional fitness program that replicates the unique demands of a particular sport. When I am creating a workout I break down movement patterns into steps, identify the weakest link and target the primary movement. When we train, we are TRAINING THE MOVEMENT!
Key Components of Snow Sports:
Skiing and snowboarding require a high level of stability, mobility and strength to stay in control. Endurance and stamina are also key components, as fatigue can make even the most advanced athletes messy. Ability to adapt quickly and efficiently to being thrown off balance.
- Balance Training improves muscular adaptions and reaction time. By unbalancing and shifting our own body weight, we teach our body how to react in order to maintain control and recover quickly.
- Calmness in stressful situation.
- Build strength and balance simultaneously.
- By rapidly repeating reps, we fatigue the muscles and build endurance.
- Approximate the knee angle and body position you take when performing.
- Step back into CL. Align knee over ankle, approximating same angle you take when skiing or boarding. Lift toes to balance on all 4 corners of foot.
- Add arms to change center of gravity.
- Lean torso forward for additional challenge.
- Shift weight forward, bring torso and back leg parallel to floor. USE GLUTES OF STANDING LEG TO BALANCE.
- Return to two legged athletic stance.
- Stand and repeat.
- Time based: 30 seconds each side, rest for 30 seconds and repeat
- Rep based: 3 sets of 10 reps each side. Work up to 15.
- Add plates to bar in 5 lb increments.