Donkey kick is a Total Body Training movement that activates all your muscles at the same time.
- Strengthens the ankles and legs
- Strengthens the shoulders and muscles of the back
- Tones the abs
- Improves balance, posture and coordination
- Builds that "yoga butt"
- Start in mountain pose, feet hip width apart
- Start on the right, come to high knee, keeping left standing leg fully extended, grounding through the heel. Raise arms up by ears, palms in.
- Straighten right leg to full extension, lower arms to shoulders, palms down. Keep standing leg fully extended.
- Come back to high knee, arms by ears.
- Kick leg back as you bring torso parallel to ground. Imagine there is a board attached from shoulder to hip to heel. Lower arms towards ground, palms in.
- Return to high knee and repeat. If you begin to lose your balance, SQUEEZE BUTT of the standing leg. Do not use your arms to help balance.
- Repeat same side or switch to other side.
In the video I add 10 lb weights as an advanced modification.
Some of my clients use 5 lb weights, others use 25 lb weights. The key is to start low and work up to a weight that requires effort.
Let me know what you think. Better yet take a before and after picture. Add this to your repertoire 3x a week and let me know after 4 weeks what you see!